“If Deafway could not help me… I would not be here today.” (Aananti, Former ’8 Regions Student’)
Since 2001 our ’8 Regions’ Project has transformed the lives of over 1000 people across more than 60 Districts of Nepal. Catch up with two former students. [Transcript and captions available via 'youtube']
Through this project D/deaf children and adults living in rural areas where there are no other services are given the opportunity to attend a 10 month sign language, numeracy and literacy course.
We caught up with two of our students, Aananti and Naramaya, 10 years on to see the lasting impact of our project.
Participants from 2001 to 2013
- The graph below represents over 1000 D/deaf men, women and children who have participated in one of our ’8 Regions’ programmes.
- So far our programme has operated in 63 Districts of Nepal.
- A small number of hearing people (friends and relatives of D/deaf participants as well as key community members) have been educated in Sign Language through this programme. Many hundreds more have been educated through our Mobile Nepal Sign Language programme.
Sustainability and the Future
- Many of our project cycles have lead to the founding of a local Deaf organisation – in the future these may grow strong enough to provide support and advice to more D/deaf people and their families.
- We are considering piloting a small number of such projects in very remote areas of Nepal. This will be challenging as travelling to and in such areas can be difficult and time consuming – however there are deaf children and adults in these areas who are very much in need of support – the challenges are therefore worth facing and overcoming. You can read our Development Officer, Christina’s account of one of our research trip to Mustang on Day 13 of our latest trip blog. A more detailed review of our research will be available soon.
- Click here to read our Overseas Schools Sustainability Statement.
Thank you to all of our donors, past, present and future(!) who have made this project a reality – we could not do it without you.